Tuesday 6 December 2011

Handmade Christmas decorations ...


handmade decorations

Did you all watch Kirsties Handmade Britain recently?  Just when I thought I could not squeeze anymore crafting into my life there she is tempting me with another Craft that I just MUST have a go at in order to make my life complete!

I was so inspired by the lady on the show who created the felt Robin that I wanted to get my needle felting out immediately and this is the result ...


needle felted robin

I wanted to create something that I could hang on my tree rather than a solid bird so instead of felting 2 pieces and then sewing together as Kirstie did on the show, my bird is a solid piece of needle felting without any sewing or stuffing. 

One problem was that I could not find any beads suitable for the eyes.  I knew that I wanted the eyes to still look 'glassy' when finished but just could not find them anywhere.  Then I had my Eureka moment...  I took some self adhesive amber gemstones (which had been in my shop all along) stuck them to the robin with a strong glue and coloured the amber part with a black permanent marker.  The result is a black glassy eye but with an undertone of bronzey/gold.  Just what I wanted all along!!



handmade decorations
If you are planning on making some handmade decorations to adorn your tree this year then here are a couple of other ideas which we made during a Christmas class here at the workshop when we had a day of nothing but Christmas crafting (and one or two mince pies!!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment