Tuesday 25 January 2011

Running before I can Walk! ...

Until recently I have never really been bothered about yarns and threads even though all of the other ladies in my family are passionate about making things this way.  My passion has always been paper and watercolour painting ... that was until now ...

Over the past few weeks we have been taking delivery of our new yarns into the shop and of course I can't stay away from all of the lovely colours and textures.  I have huge expectations as to what I might be able to create one day and am already looking at patterns thinking I could change this and change that to put my own mark on a project.  The words 'running before I can walk' come to mind!

I just can't help it! I think that this is why I have never knitted large projects before.  I cannot follow a pattern, I have to do my own thing or I loose interest.  The paints and paper allow me to let my creativity flow but if I want to be able to knit as well as Mum I will have to learn to follow someone else's instructions and designs (for a while at least!).  I will keep you posted as to how the 'running' is going in future posts. I am quite sure that I will have 'tripped up' more than once. 

Here is a lovely cardigan that Mum knit for Mia.  The feel of the final project is so soft and perfect for a warm snuggly sweater or a pair of socks.  Of course I did have to add my own little bit of input and ask if we could add some mis-matched buttons to give the cardigan a more modern and crafty feel!

I gave Mum the yarn at the weekend and within a couple of days she had phoned me to tell me that it was finished.  I cannot believe the speed that she can knit.  By the time she had finished this I had just about cast on my stitches and knit a couple of inches up the back of my attempt at a cardigan!    I will keep practicing and in the meantime look forward to all of the new yarns arriving every week to inspire me and our lovely visitors.


Sirdar pattern 2292


Thanks for taking a look!
Happy Crafting
Teresa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teresa
    The cardidgan looks great,been looking through your old post,the cards are brilliant enjoyed all of, keep the knitting up.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete